Interesting thoughts on Parenting by Chrispher Nevill www.foundationsa.co.za.
Treat them as you would like to be treated. Would you like a 4m tall giant yelling at you?
1. Be very clear as to why you are having children. It is a 20 year one sided commitment. They owe you nothing.
2. Do some study about who and what you are. That way you can be the guide and mentor you have undertaken to be.
3. Treat them as you would like to be treated. Would you like a 4m tall giant yelling at you?
4. Be fair – both in the fact as well as the perception. Their standards are not the same as yours.
5. Keep your word. Be VERY careful what to say to them. They have a disconcerting habit of taking you literally.
6. Be present 24/7. This not easy – sorry about that!
7. Your task is to create a space where they can become who they are, not whom you want them to be.
8. Watch out for the transmission of your fears.
9. Be prepared to work hard.
10. Have fun.
These are all very tricky indeed. Perhaps the trickiest is No 2. This is at least a two year project, so if you want to breed get busy!