” Nothing restores a semblance of balance to ones life better than a cup of tea and a slice of cake” – Anon
- 25g vegan margarine plus extra for greasing
- 3 dessert apples (Golden Delicious)
- 195g muscovado sugar
- 180g plain flour
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 7.5ml mixed spice
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 5ml vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 85g pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line the base of a 23cm cake tin.
- Core and peel and coarsely grate 2 of the apples and finely slice the remaining apple.
- Melt 85g of the sugar and the margarine in a pan, then pour into the prepared tin. Top with the sliced apple in a single layer.
- Combine the flour, 110g of sugar, the bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, 180ml water, the vinegar, grated apple and lemon zest.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, quickly but thoroughly.
- Roughly chop and stir in the pecans, then pour over the layer of apples in the cake tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out.
Cell: 083 730 8344