- controls blood sugar levels
- helps maintain insulin sensitivity
- is a powerful antioxidant: great for youthful longevity
- may have antibacterial and antifungal properties, good for blood cleansing and circulation
- boosts energy level and vitality; specially good for kapha types
Cinnamon is effective in controlling blood sugar levels. A 2003 Diabetes Care medical journal published test describes the results of subjects taking 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon per day in capsule form (the equivalent of approx 1/4 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon).All 3 amounts of cinnamon groups showed reduced fasting blood glucose levels by 18-29% after 40 days.
Cinnamon may increase insulin sensitivity: essentially the body is better able to control blood sugar while simultaneously needing to produce less insulin. Insulin resistance causes abdominal fat accumulation and excess eating, cravings or munchies.
So add cinnamon to your yogi chai, smoothies, breakfast oats, fruit, dessert – anywhere to add flavour and an immune system boost.